Essential Oils, Herbs Gemstones and Reflexology for Asthma.
People with asthma have overly sensitive, hyperactive lungs. Normally air flows easily through the bronchial tubes (airways). The airways naturally tighten to keep out very cold air or other harmful substances. In asthma, the lungs also react to harmless substances such as pollen or cat dander.
Asthma is an allergic condition which begins with a dry cough and tightness in the chest which rapidly worsens until labored breathing and wheezing result.
During an attack, the sphincter muscles in the smallest bronchial tubes tighten and go into a spasm. The airways swell and become inflamed. The problem is intensified when mucous-producing cells that line the airways respond by secreting more mucous and clogging airways – this is what creates the wheezing sound. Stale air becomes trapped in the lungs and causes a build-up of carbon dioxide. This results in coughing and gasping for air.
Adrenaline is administered by a doctor for asthma episodes.
During an actual asthma attack, sniffing on a tissue with a few drops of: lavender, bergamot, frankincense, or chamomile essential oils may give some relief from the spasm of the airways.
In between attacks, massaging a combination of the above oils blended into carrier oil and massaged into the chest may help prevent the spasms and the thick mucus build-up which causes the wheezing.
Essential Oils as Massage:
Top Notes: basil, bergamot, cajeput, eucalyptus, lemon, mandarin, niaouli, thyme, sage
Middle Notes: aniseed, black pepper, chamomile, cypress, hyssop, lavender, marjoram, melissa, peppermint, pine, rosemary, savory
Base Notes: benzoin, clove, frankincense, neroli, origanum, immortelle, rose
- Echinacea, borage and licorice will all support the immune system and the adrenal glands, which are often low in asthmatics.
- Combine one of these with coltsfoot, hyssop, elecampane, and thyme. These four herbs together will help to clear the phlegm and strengthen the lungs.
- If stress and tension are a factor in bringing on an asthma attack, add skullcap, vervain or chamomile. These are relaxants, which may slow down and deepen breathing.
- In between asthma attacks, taking an infusion of a mixture of Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita), Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis) and Lavender (Lavandula vera) may help to relax the airways, tone up the mucous membranes and reduce inflammation and irritability of the bronchi.
Gemstones for Healing:
- Turquoise - for pollen related asthma
- Emerald - for genetic-related asthma
Carry or wear.
© 2008-2019 aromaworx.ca. All rights reserved.