Arthritis is a general body condition coming from a variety of sources generally associated with an inflammation of a joint. There are two main types of arthritis; rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: This is the more destructive form of arthritis. The inflammation can cause crippling and deformation of the joints. It is characterized by early morning joint stiffness, pain and inflammation in symmetrically located joints. Fingers and toes are usually the first to be affected, but it is not uncommon for pain to wander from joint to joint throughout the day. The cause is unknown, but it belongs to a family of autoimmune diseases in which the body attacks its own tissue.
There does seem to be a genetic disposition in this disease.
Osteoarthritis: The cause of this type of arthritis lies in a long process of joint deterioration due to mineral deficiencies or imbalances. Mechanical wearing down of the cartilage lining the joints leaves abrasive tissue in place of the once-smooth cartilage.
The treatment for both types of arthritis is the same, but there are also specific oils used for each type of arthritis.
General Essential Oils for Arthritis:
Top Notes: bergamot, cajeput, caraway, coriander, eucalyptus, grapefruit, lemon, niaouli, thyme, yarrow, sage
Middle Notes: black pepper, camphor, chamomile, cypress, fennel, geranium, juniper, lavender, marjoram, pine, rosemary
Base Notes: benzoin, cedarwood, clove, frankincense, ginger, myrrh, nutmeg, origanum, vetivert
Rheumatoid Arthritis Essential Oils:
Recommended Esssential Oils: lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, chamomile Roman, chamomile German, geranium, rosemary, lemon, thyme linalool
Osteoarthritis Essential Oils:
Recommended Essential Oils: ginger, basil, eucalyptus viridiflora, thyme linalool, coriander, marjoram, lemon
- Take supplements of evening primrose oil or cod liver oil to keep joints supple.
- Rub joints with oils of lavender, rosemary, peppermint and arnica.
- For osteoporosis:
Iron a cabbage leaf to release the active properties and wrap it, warm, around the affected joint.
- Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum) - To ease rheumatoid arthritis, take 1 tsp reishi mushroom tincture three times a day
Tincture Formula: 30 g (1 oz) dried reishi mushroom in 1 litre (2 pints) vodka-water mix.
- Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) – 1 cup of alfalfa leaf infusion three times daily.
Infusion Formula: 1 tsp. dried alfalfa leaves in 1 cup just boiled water.
- Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) – 1 cup of decoction up to three times daily, for as long as necessary.
Decoction Formula: 30g (1 oz) dried or 60g (2 oz) fresh stinging nettle roots in 750 ml (1 ½ pints) of water.
- Ashwagangha (Withania somnifera) – to reduce inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis, take 2 or 3 size 00 capsules filled with powdered ashwagangha root three times a day until symptoms improve.
- A tea made from a combination of celery seed, burdock, meadowsweet, and Echinacea will help clear waste from the system.
- Add wild yam or devil’s claw to reduce pain and swelling.
Gemstones for Healing:
Place crystals on high pain area for 30 minutes a day.
Elixer for chronic arthritis.
Reflexology areas to emphasize:
- The whole foot should be worked, with attention to:
- Solar plexus – pain = tension
- Adrenal glands – helpful for inflammation
- Kidneys – useful in eliminating waste materials that can gather around the joints